Friday, September 18, 2009

Rowdy Mealtimes

This is my very first blog entry, and I am so excited about this project! Today I want to talk about the benefits of adding classical music into the daily routine with kids, no matter what age. When I taught a daycare class of about 12 to 15 two-year olds (i had a co-teacher, but still, ALOT of two-yr olds for one room!) we often had an issue with lunch time. by 11:30, the kids were tired, hungry, and had very little patience to wait for everyone to get served. Of course we had our share of picky eaters as well. What saved the day? Classical music.
Playing the music helped focus the kids' attitudes and generally relax the overall tone of the classroom. The kids ate better, the teachers were calmer, and they even seemed to drift off to sleep easier. As an added bonus, playing the music looks quite impressive to visiting parents and observing supervisors!
I have also used this technique as a nanny in several different instances. I currently nanny for 3 month old triplets, and I did baths for the first time yesterday. We had been outside beforehand so they were tired, hot, and a bit cranky. I played the music in the bathroom with us. The babies were happy and I was calm. We all know that our attitudes set the tone for the classroom or the day. Playing music that calms me makes me a better caregiver for these little angels, and as a bonus seems to help me to work more efficiently! Needless to say, bath time went well, we were bathed, lotioned, dressed and in bed in just under 45 minutes!

0 comments: